Friday, July 27

Almond Crusted [Protein of Choice] with Peach Topping

This is delicious.  Just letting you know.  :o)

I've made this with halibut and with chicken (for my non-halibut eating mother) on two different occasions, and think I'll try it with tofu.  Anyways, that's the reason for the pick your protein title in the title.  :o)


It all started with some Full Circle peaches that needed to be eaten...  Peaches make me wish I lived in the south were they'd be readily available at a street side farmer's stand...  I think that's probably one of the things I miss the most about living in AK... the farmer's markets, stands, oh and the Amish stands, YUM!  Other things missed are first and foremost the people, then Fall, and going to ball games.  Anyways, I was talking about peaches...


So, I had made a pistachio crusted halibut before, and I liked it, so why not go for the healthy almond?

Almond Crusted [Protein] with Peach Topping
Almond Crust

  • 1 1/2c. raw almonds
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
  • salt (to taste)
  • egg white (2 egg whites for 4-6 pieces of fish/chicken)
  • flour

Peach Topping

  • 1/4 c. sliced almonds
  • olive oil
  • 3 c. peaches, wedged with skin
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 1 c. water
  • 1-2 T. balsamic vinegar (put 1 T in first and decide if you want to add more)

I roasted the almonds in cinnamon, a smidge of maple syrup, cayenne, and salt.  Roasted at the same time and same way as the pepitas.


Here's the coating process: flour, egg white wash, nuts.  Be sure to get all sides!


Place on a lightly sprayed pan, at bake at 375*F for 20-25 minutes.  While that's in the oven, it's time to make the peachy goodness to go on top!


First, heat some olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat.  Add almonds and let them brown a bit.  Next add all ingredients EXCEPT balsamic and simmer over medium-low for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, add the balsamic and simmer 5 more minutes.

Once you've added the balsamic to the peaches, take sliced brie (this is goat cheese brie, but any ol' brie will do!) and place it on your almond crusted halibut/chicken/tofu/other protein.


This will get it nice and melty.  Mmmm! :o)  There should be about 5 minutes left on your protein in the oven.


While I could just each this by itself (and have as leftovers... good on a kale salad, just fyi!), I figured it'd be good to have something on the side to balance out the meal.  :o)

Enter rice and kale.  I made rice (per instructions) then added some reduced Amarula and diced dried apricots to it.  Yummmm!

I originally was going to use the reduced Amarula over the peach sauce, but the peaches didn't need a thing! So, into the rice it went.  :o)  Good decision.  :o)  Another time making this, I served the almond crusted halibut and peaches over quinoa.  In the quinoa I put in a little bit of brie and some roasted minced garlic.  Both are pretty stinking delicious.


I also made a kale salad.  Pretty easy recipe to make:
Simple Lemon-Rubbed Kale Salad

  • Kale - one bunch
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 2 t honey
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 c.  pepitas
How to:
  1. Clean kale and tear into smaller pieces
  2. In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 T olive oil and 1/2 T of lemon juice.
  3. Pour olive oil, lemon mix over kale, add a few dashes of kosher salt, and massage into the leaves.
  4. Combine the rest of the lemon juice, rest of the olive oil, honey, and pepper to make a dressing for the salad.  Pour over salad.
  5. Top with pepitas.


The kale salad is REALLY easy, and REALLY delicious.  One of my new favorite ways to prep kale for salads (like the kind I end up putting leftovers on top of).  :o)

And there you have it, dinner!  


 The first time I made it was up at my parents house in Fairbanks.  They liked it.


So did the dogs.  :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment