Know where they come from?
Yup, pumpkins. I love pumpkins. I also love the pumpkin seed kernels (aka pepitas)! :o)
I was going to post a dinner recipe I've made twice in the last month and REALLY like, but I'm sleepy, so I thought a nice short and sweet post would be a better idea. :o)
Sweet, Salty, & Spicy Pepitas
- 2 c. pepitas (raw)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T honey (or maple syrup)
- 1-2 T brown sugar or sucanat
- 1 t cinnamon
- cayenne pepper (a dash or two, unless you really like spicy!)
- nutmeg (just a dash)
- 1/2 t sea salt (modify to taste)
Um, you may want to double the recipe while you're at it. Seems like if you put them in a mason jar on your kitchen counter, they'll disappear pretty gosh darn quickly. ;o)
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Combine all but sugar, and mix in a bowl.
- Mix coated pepitas with sugar, then spread out on parchment lined baking tray
- Roast for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5. After the 12 minute mark, keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
- Scrape up a bit with spatula, then let them cool down.
They're awesome by themselves, in a salad, as a garnish, and I'm sure other ways I haven't thought of yet. :o) [just had a thought - if you made these sans cayenne, they'd be delicious in oatmeal...] Oh, and I'd recommend storing them in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, because if left out, they'll loose their crunch. :o)
Since I like ending blog posts with pictures...
|Rudder went hiking today (although this picture is from yesterday)|
|On my bike ride today to volunteer @ Forget Me Nots. Pretttttttty!|
|Today @ Forget Me Nots, I ended up getting a bit painted. Good thing its washable! ;o)|