Monday, January 14

Sangria... Not Just For Summer Anymore!

When I think sangria... I think summer.  However, when I made this... it was below -10*F.  Definitely not summer.  Kevin and I were having some people over to taste test batch #2 from the Muddy Rudder Homebrew, but I wanted to have something for the non-beer [gasp!] drinkers.  It also helped that I just happened to have a bunch of apples and oranges that were just sitting in the fruit bowl begging to swim in alcohol.  Thus the creation of winter sangria.



I didn't write down exactly what I put in... so here's my best attempt at re-creating a recipe!  I really should start writing these things down somewhere...


Spiced Winter Sangria
  • 1/2 c. brandy
  • 1/4 c. sugar (a scant 1/4 cup)
  • 1-2 T. maple syrup
  • 1 bottle red wine (I used a shiraz/cabernet blend)
  • 1-2 c. lime soda water
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 1 orange, thinly sliced
  • 1 apple, thinly sliced
  • 1 c. cranberries (I used frozen)
  • handful of cinnamon sticks
  • whole cloves (just be sure they don't end up in the glass!)
I mixed the brandy, sugar, syrup, and fruit together first.  Ya know, to make the the fruit was nice and drunk.  :o)  Let it sit for a while (I kept busy prepping other food, so we'll say 15-20 minutes?) then add in the rest of the ingredients.

Serve chilled.


I may like this better than summer-like sangria.  MAY.  I dunno, I think I'm an equal opportunity sangria enthusiast.  I definitely love the spiced aspect of this one though.  Mmmm mmmm mmmm!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment