Monday, February 11

Sweet Spin on Puppy Chow!

 I love love love puppy chow.

I used to fill up on it before Thanksgiving.  It would be sitting in pretty little silver bowls, just beckoning me.  I could not resist. 

So when I saw this recipe months ago on The Smart Kitchen, I knew I'd have to try it.  Oh, and the cereal had been on sale for a cool $2, so it was clearly a sign that this was meant to be. 


First time I made it, I followed her recipe to a [near] T.  This last time I made it, I modified it a bit.  Modified recipe = my favorite, so it's what I will share with you. :o)

Carmel Apple Puppy Chow

Adapted from Miss Smart
  • 1 box Apple Cinnamon Chex
  • 1 bag butterscotch chips
  • 1-2 T coconut oil
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • powdered sugar
  1. Consider how much you might eat.  If you're not sharing this, may I recommend making a half batch?  Otherwise, you're likely to eat it all yourself.  In a day.  Just a heads up. :o)
  2.  Melt together butterscotch chips, coconut oil, and peanut butter.
  3. Pour into bowl with chex (I like to layer chex, melty stuff, chex, melty stuff... makes it a bit easier to combine)
  4. Use a spatula to combine.
  5. Once chex is coated, pour into a large gallon bag, that you can seal up, with powdered sugar.  I didn't use too much as I didn't want it to be overly sweet.
  6.  Shake shake shake! 

It's delicious.  Dee-liiii-shhhh-ous!  It's sweet, but I think the peanut butter helps cut the sweetness a bit.  You can add more or less to taste.  :o)   Let's look at it again, a little closer.
 

Oh, and here is Rudder, helping me write this post. ;o)


Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I Just finished making it for a fall BBQ I'm going to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Any suggestions to substitute the peanut butter? We have peanut allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister made this for me for my birthday last weekend. She has to make sweets for everyone's birthday, and was a bit worried about what to make me as I found out I was gluten intolerant a few months ago. This is wonderful and we'll definitely be making it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think you could use regular Chex to cut the sweetness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think you could use regular Chex to cut the sweetness?

    ReplyDelete