I had seen recipes for black bean brownies before, but not for cookies. That is, until I stumbled upon Vermont food blogger Kitchen Ninja. Her recipe is a bit different from what I ended up with, and her cookies (and pictures of cookies!) are way prettier. [You should check out her site, good looking food on there!] Annnnnnyways! Having a sweet tooth, but trying to not fall into the abyss of buttery and sugary goodness, I decided I'd give a black bean based dessert a whirl.
So, without further blabbering on my part, I bring you the moist gooey delicious black bean cookie! :o)
Black Bean & Oats Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from the Kitchen Ninja
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 T. whole wheat flour (or rice flour if you'd like this to be gluten free)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/3 c. agave (or honey)
- 15 oz. black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 T. milk (cow or soy or almond)
- 3 T. peanut butter
- 1/2 c. oats
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In a food processor, combine: agave, black beans, milk, peanut butter, oats, olive oil, and vanilla. Pulse pulse pulse!
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to bean mixture in the food processor. Combine until smooth and completely blended.
- Stir in chocolate with a spoon/spatula/spoontula
- Bake on a cookie sheet (parchment paper or a silpat would have been a good idea...) for 12-15 minutes.
- Eat for dinner! (Well, at least that's what happened at my house! Haha!)
|Why I'd recommend parchment paper or a silpat. :o) Pretty though!|
Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek FroYo + Black Bean Cookies = an awesome lil ice cream sandwich!!!
Man, I wish I had some left...