Wednesday, May 16

Tofu Tuesday - Chocolate Mousse

Wellllllllllllllllll I fell asleep at 8pm last night and woke up when we had an earthquake at 7am this morning.  Oops!  I think I'm still recovering from the nasty little virus that rocked my world last week.

Anyways, here is the slightly late Tofu Tuesday post!

Chocolate Mousse!

I made this when my parents came to visit a few weeks ago, and didn't tell them what was in it (well, at least not initially!).  The non-tofu lovers out there just might love this!  It's a MUCH healthier alternative to regular old chocolate mousse (which I adore, by the way), and honestly, if you didn't tell someone you put tofu in it, I bet they'd never guess that is what they were eating.  I loved it, and it got the non-tofu-eating-parents mark of approval, so I think you should try it.  :o)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg of firm tofu
  • 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
  • 1 t cocoa powder
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2 T milk 
  • 2-3 T agave
  • pinch of salt

First, you use your double-boiler (or something like it, for example my make-do double boiler contraption seen below) to melt 1 1/2 c. of chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate, but you can use whatever kind your heart desires).


 Get the rest of your ingredients ready and in the food processor while your chocolate is melting (but don't forget about that chocolate on the stove!  Keep on stirring that sucker until it's melted, that way you won't burn it.  Clearly I've never made this mistake...)


Turn on your food processor (or blender) with all of the ingredients added and blend blend blend until it is nice and smoooooooooth.  If you don't have a food processor or blender, you can use a hand mixer, but you'll end up with a less smooth (but still delicious) mousse.  I made it sans-food processor the first time I made it.

Then if you want to add a little pizazz to your mousse, add some shaved chocolate to the top.  I added some coarsely chopped dark chocolate espresso bean chocolate and white coconut shavings on top.  I must say, I stood in front of the chocolate bar selection at Fred Meyer's for at least 8 minutes trying to decided what kind to go with.  I love the chili chocolate, but wasn't sure that's what I was looking for...  [speaking of chili chocolate... sometime I'll have to share my cookie recipe...]  In the long run, I think it ended up being a good combination.  PLUS you'll have extra to snack on.  :o)


I just like all the stars on it.  :o)

Put it all together, licking your fingers in the process of course, then smile and enjoy!


Yesterday I didn't eat tofu...  I haven't fallen off my tofu wagon, I'm just not as consistent about eating it on Tuesday...  After school we went to a Mexican restaurant nearby to send off/congratulate the wonderful Miss Croston as she [sniff sniff] leaves us for another school, and I ordered the largest fried ice cream known to man me.  Oh, and a beer of course to go with it.  Beer and ice cream compliment each other, right?  ;o)























Anyways, point is, I was so stuffed from half a beer and half (ok, I'll be honest, I ate almost all of it) the ice cream, that I was in no way in the mood for dinner.  Tofu Tuesday is coming to my house the Wednesday instead.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment