Thursday, August 30

Adults Should Grow Up and Act More Like Kids

Yup.  You read that right.

[source]
Tonight I painted my nails because I'm pretty sure this is the longest they'll be until May 27th.

Is it too early in the year [this is the 2nd week back to school] to have a knot in your stomach?  Or to be reconsidering the whole bartending gig instead of school psychology?  I think I'll be drinking more coffee this year.  Wee!


On top of having a bleh work day, it was GROSS outside.  Like pouring rain gross.  Cold gross.  Fall is here gross [ok, I LOVE Fall.  It's, in my opinion, the best season ever.  I'm just not ready yet, because after the pretty leaves comes the windy snow that stays for a long long time.  I like the snow too, but not in October...]  So naturally, Sarah and I took the dogs out for a walk.  My Gore-Tex rain jacket failed me.  My iphone was soaked as it sat in my {zipped up} pocket with waterproof zippers.  Hmmpf!  It's spending the next few days in a rice bath.  Fingers crossed that helps, because right now it is all kinds of special...


So when you're having a work is blah, weather is blah, adults are blah, my phone has gone blaaaaaah, you buy a 12 pack of seltzer water to find random cans of other beverages in it blah, kind of day, what's the best plan of action?


Naturally the answer begins with changing out of soaking wet pants and into deliciously worn and soft sweatpants from college.  Next comes grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Then, a snuggly (albeit still damp) pup passed out at your side while you write a post to vent your blah'y'ness and try to turn your frown upside down.  Fourth, decide that you are not going to tackle your cleaning/organizing project tonight and be okay with it.  Last, make pumpkin snickerdoodle oatmeal bars. 


If it's going to feel like Fall, and start to look like Fall, then I'm going to break out the pumpkin.  So there cold, wet weather!  :op



Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
Inspired by Lovin' From the Oven

Oatmeal Layer:
  • 1/4 c. oil (I used canola/olive blend)
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T milk (I used soy)
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/4 t kosher salt
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 c. oats
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
  •  butterscotch chips (to your liking)
Pumpkin Layer:
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 4 T coconut oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
First make the oatmeal layer, since it goes on the bottom.  :o)  I mixed the wet ingredients, then added the dry ingredients.  Stir in the butterscotch chips at the end.

Pour the oatmeal layer into the bottom of a greased baking dish.   Bake @ 350*F for 5-8 minutes.

Next, make the pumpkin layer.  Same thing, wet ingredients then dry.

Pour pumpkin mix on top of the oatmeal layer.

Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.

Bake @ 350* for 40'ish minutes (I made mine in a deep dish, so it took a bit longer).



No comments:

Post a Comment