Sunday, February 10

Black Bean & Oats Cookies

Yup.  Black beans make for some pretty yummy cookies.  :o)

I had seen recipes for black bean brownies before, but not for cookies.  That is, until I stumbled upon Vermont food blogger Kitchen Ninja.  Her recipe is a bit different from what I ended up with, and her cookies (and pictures of cookies!) are way prettier.  [You should check out her site, good looking food on there!]  Annnnnnyways!  Having a sweet tooth, but trying to not fall into the abyss of buttery and sugary goodness, I decided I'd give a black bean based dessert a whirl.

So, without further blabbering on my part, I bring you the moist gooey delicious black bean cookie! :o) 


Black Bean & Oats Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from the Kitchen Ninja
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 T. whole wheat flour (or rice flour if you'd like this to be gluten free)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon 
  • 1/3 c. agave (or honey)
  • 15 oz. black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2 T. milk (cow or soy or almond)
  • 3 T. peanut butter
  • 1/2 c. oats
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
  • 1/4 c. dark chocolate M&Ms
  1. Preheat oven to 375*
  2. In a food processor, combine: agave, black beans, milk, peanut butter, oats, olive oil, and vanilla.  Pulse pulse pulse!
  3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour,  baking powder, cinnamon, salt.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients to bean mixture in the food processor.  Combine until smooth and completely blended.
  5. Stir in chocolate with a spoon/spatula/spoontula
  6. Bake on a cookie sheet (parchment paper or a silpat would have been a good idea...) for 12-15 minutes.
  7. Eat for dinner! (Well, at least that's what happened at my house! Haha!)
Yum!  They're pretty stinking delicious, and have wayyyy more protein than your average cookie. :o)

  
Why I'd recommend parchment paper or a silpat. :o)  Pretty though!






















 Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek FroYo + Black Bean Cookies = an awesome lil ice cream sandwich!!!  

Man, I wish I had some left...

No comments:

Post a Comment